Tuesday, June 5, 2012

William



The epicenter of the human soul
Contains a rift so deeply absolute,
Science confereth on’t the name “black hole,”
Though ‘f nature, ever she’ll be in dispute.
Upon this vast I stumbled once ago,
Borne thence on certain heedless whorls of Time.
My vision grasped a nexus, where below
All human thought compressed to one sublime.
The sole imperfect blot on this ravine
Was three playfellows hanging from a tree
That o’er th’ unfathoms perilously leaned,
Link’d arm in arm, and knuckles gripping knee.
The farthest, and the aptest to let slip
Was a fiancé of the purest brow.
Above, a raven lady with a grip
Could anchor total mountains to that bough.
And twixt the twain, who kept them both in hand,
A bachelor to’s incriminating ruff
Scream’d out against the hourglass’s sand,
But every word was swallow’d by the bluff.
With no unlisted hand to hold his quill,
It slipped, and splattered ink that oozed like blood,
And hung i’th’ wind, as on a silent sill
Constructed o’er the soul’s conclusive flood.
He railed at me to rescue him with rope
And save the lives of his attractive mates,
That beauty might survive. He hung on hope
Against the purchase ‘f worlds’ worser fate.
But knew I none could fain o’ercross that span
Within which chaos shudders to a close.
This tragedy I shouted to the man,
Who bellow’d back in verses fit of prose,
“Go to’t, thou rascal! Pigeon-liver’d red!
Know’st not the plight my willsome hand could save?
Or seekest etchèd doom upon thy head,
Printed on face, and afterward on grave?”
From’s frothy mouth and from’s yet flutt’ring pen
Abounded glamours two or three times wide
Who capered weightless ‘cross th’ abysm again
And over, sightless bridging the divide,
Then sank they only slowly toward the dark,
Resounding rather from its seamless walls,
And rattled wisdom as the mongrel barks,
And faded as first prince of autumn falls,
But ever their impression did remain
In will-o-wisps, in meanings without term.
That roughèd joiner ‘f glamours rent with pain
To see his progeny his dread affirm.
He wept. I called to him, “Lament you not!
Their plight was beautiful.” He shouted back,
“Alas! I knew them well. Ere I begot
Their noble forms, I knew not how to lack
A minute painlessly. When I gave birth
To their mistake and torment, I was eased
For but a moment. Now returned to Earth,
Those models wrack me with upset reprise.
Their loss carves out a coffin of my heart.”
I soothed him. “Sir, in smoke I see them yet.
Neglect will not their faces tear apart,
Nor will their ghosts allow me to forget.”
He smiled. “’Tis done. Beloveds, disappear.”
At that the trio plunged and sank away.
And I alone remain on th’edge to hear
His screams reverberate even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment